Post Question
Home / Legal / Rent Agreement / Our family has been living in a Pagdi flat since the 1970s. For the last 2 years, we have been staying at our brother in laws place due to my father's ill condition. The owner is refraining from taking the rent since then. Unfortunately, a year back my Dad passed away and now the owners are demanding 1 lakh for the transfer to my mother's name. We didn't want to go to the law as we always had a good relationship with them. We 3 siblings have no objection at all to the transfer. Kindly advise on both the aspect - Transfer to my mother's name and the rent payment.
Q.

Our family has been living in a Pagdi flat since the 1970s. For the last 2 years, we have been staying at our brother in laws place due to my father's ill condition. The owner is refraining from taking the rent since then. Unfortunately, a year back my Dad passed away and now the owners are demanding 1 lakh for the transfer to my mother's name. We didn't want to go to the law as we always had a good relationship with them. We 3 siblings have no objection at all to the transfer. Kindly advise on both the aspect - Transfer to my mother's name and the rent payment.

Read More

Comment

1 Answers

0 2022-12-21T22:14:25+00:00

The sole difference in the Pagdi system is that the tenant becomes a co-owner of the building rather than the land. As long as the renter does not sublet the property, the rent is still being paid to the owner.

Instead of becoming a landowner under the Pagdi system, the tenant becomes a co-owner of the building. The tenant is still responsible for paying the landlord's rent as long as they don't sublet the room.

Landlords commonly demand between 30% and 50% of the total consideration as "Pagdi" at the time of transfer in reality.

Pay Your Rent using Credit Card SAFELY through NoBroker! Generate an online rent agreement through NoBroker Get assistance from NoBroker Legal Services 

Leave an answer

You must login or register to add a new answer .

Most Viewed Questions

Recently Published Questions

Flat 25% off on Home Painting
Flat 25% on Painting | Top Quality Paints | Professional Tools | Verified Partners
Home Cleaning Starting ₹359 Only
Revive Your Space with Expert Cleaning!
India's Largest Packers and Movers
Intercity | Intracity | Vehicle Shifting | City Tempo
Buy Your Dream Home with NoBroker.com & Enjoy Exclusive Benefits on Home Loan & Interior Services
Fastest Sanction in 7 Days from 15+ Banks | Max Funding | No Hidden Charges
Get upto ₹10 Lacs Instantly in your bank account | Instant Disbursal |